A Change of Direction

It is now September 13th (a lucky day by our accounts). It has already snowed 3 times in Calgary (unrelated to being lucky)…this past week. The temperature forecasts across Canada are in the single digit highs. We had this idea that we would have two months to travel from Ontario to BC, camping in our VW, while the weather was still good before ultimately heading south. We hadn’t really investigated National and Provincial Campground closings and so when we finally did so this past week we were shocked to discover that the campgrounds typically close for the season between now and Thanksgiving. The whole point of the way we are travelling is to take our time and not rush. We have been pretty good to date at driving a maximum of 4 hours a day and not every day. We would like to continue in this way. We don’t mind cool weather but waking up to frost and single digits every day for 2 months isn’t really that appealing in the end.

Soooooooo….. we decide to change our plan and drive south immediately and then west. On Tuesday we will cross the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit and drive south. We may head towards the Atlantic and follow the coast south before making a right at Georgia and heading west. Any tips please feel free to share as we do not have a predetermined path!!

We are disappointed not to be travelling Canada from coast to coast now. We had so been looking forward to seeing all of our friends and family in Northern Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. It will still happen but maybe not until the spring!

By the way, we will be doing some catch up on our posting over the next two days! We have much to share about Newfoundland especially and also Cape Breton, PEI and Maine.